Sunday, November 4, 2007

Mistakes


Nobody's Perfect


Everybody makes mistakes...
Everybody has those days... 1 2 3 4!
Everybody makes mistakes...
Everybody has those days...
Everybody knows what what I'm talkin' 'bout...
Everybody gets that way... [x2]

Sometimes I'm in a jam
I've gotta make a plan
It might be crazy
I do it anyway
No way to know for sure
I'll figure out a cure
I'm patchin' up the holes
But then it overflows
If I'm not doin' to well
Why be so hard on my self?

[Chorus]

Nobody's Perfect!
I gotta work it!
Again and again 'til I get it right

Nobody's Perfect!

You live and you learn it!
And if I mess it up sometimes...
Nobody's perfect
Sometimes I work a scheme
But then it flips on me
Doesn't turn out how I planned
get stuck in quick sand
No problem, can't be solved

Once I get involved I try to be delicate
Then crash right into it
My intentions are good
Sometimes just misunderstood


The lyrics to this song got jumbled a bit in the copy process. (My intentions were good.)

This is a popular song even with the five-year olds. The heavy toy catalog in the paper this morning has tons of Hannah Montana. Kenz likes Hannah.

Hannah is a big girl who wears pretty clothes and sings in a rock band. She's like a cousin that's older, lives far away and never visits. (She does sends posters, tee shirts, and and all sorts of accessories.)

"So whats that mean?" I asked Kenz after she told me that she and her mom listen to the Nobody's Perfect song on a CD.

"What does what mean Nana?"

"What does nobody's perfect mean?"

She looked at me and thought a second. "It means everybody's perfect."


In a young child's world, everybody is perfect, especially the people they love.

The last two books I've read (and added to my Grand list) are both rich in illustrating this experience. Blackbird is written from the viewpoint of a child. The Glass Castle does the same in the beginning chapters. Both of these memoirs show how a child loves even a very dysfunctional parent, interpreting the behavior as normal, at least for awhile.


I don't interpret this song as giving license to make a mess of things, but as a 'keep trying your best' song. And one that reassures that our best efforts could be--- good enough.
Sometimes I gotta work it! Again and again til I get it right!


No comments:

Total Pageviews