Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Winter Wonder


I am really glad to have grown up in the Midwest, but I'm thrilled to be living in the sunny Southwest. Today's forecast for the Great Lakes region predicts a blizzard and frigid temps, while we'll be in the low 70's.

As a child, the news of an impending blizzard was-- exciting. We could anticipate a school snow day, even up to a week off, if it was a bad blizzard. For the most part, my childhood winters were white snow, sleds, ice rinks, ice skates, boots, mittens, scarfs and indoor games! We didn't have video games either, we played school, store, Monopoly and other board games. Thankfully, I had brothers and sisters to play with, especially during blizzards, when there was no way to get the car out of the garage, or even walk down the sidewalk. We were snowed-in.

As an adult, I like my toes warm and dry, sunshine most everyday and light winter jackets. I can't imagine what it would be like to stuck inside the house for days on end, although we do get a little taste of cabin fever during our hot summers. But, we can always escape to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard or we can jump in a pool!
My grandchildren love being outside. Little Brody is fascinated by the sounds of birds, the whisper of wind in the palm trees and the feeling of cool air on his cheeks.
The picture above is from a very old songbook. I don't know the artist, but I have always loved the way it portrays the bliss of being outside--- playing.

2 comments:

Nina said...

I think I'm going to be jealous of your 70 degree weather when it's 7 degrees Fahrenheit where I live . . .

Dorothy said...

Hello Connie its single digit today and a storm is brewing..I often wish I lived where it is warmer..

wonderful photos fun wow with sleepovers..

Kala had her baby photos tomorrow..

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Total Pageviews