Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Naps and Nurturing


I was just browsing Oprah.com and took a quiz to find out what's me? I ranked high as a Nurturer.  I already knew this about myself, because afterall, I am a nurse and... a Granny Nanny.  What I need to be reminded (and this was in the answer) is to not say 'yes' to things I might not feel like doing. Also, to take care of my spiritual, emotional and physical needs before nurturing all the nurturerees (my word) in my world. The yes is happening... this week... with ta-da.... the additon of two half hour sessions with a fitness trainee. My daughter and I signed up together on the buddy plan. She is mom to Kenz and has decided she needs to do this to take better care of herself. Massages, walks, and some alone time.... everyday... are other ways this Nana revives herself.

I took the picture of Brody (above) just as he was about to doze off  into motion-driven dreamland. I used to drive Kenz around to take a nap, almost on a daily basis.  I promised myself I wouldn't do it again with Brody and I haven't succumbed to it (yet.)  I walk him to sleep in the stroller, but I won't waste 15 dollars worth a gas a week just to squeeze in a nap.  Brody, however, will almost always, without fail, fall asleep if we go any further than fifteen minutes from home in my car.  I've learned over the last year how to ever so carefully lift him out of the car seat and put him in the stroller in the reclining position so he can catch a few winks, while I shop around. He usually wakes up half-way through our outing or when I'm tucking him back into the carseat. There's a science to all this and I must say I'm pretty good at it.

It's been said that grandmas are moms with lots of experience! We can also get better at taking care of ourselves, wit a few reminders now and then.

4 comments:

Angeline said...

Nice! When I first got to know you (your blog) I feel you do fit the title as a "Nurturer".

Dorothy said...

I think your right that most of us grandma's are nurturers I've been loving the grandma mode and your right we are also good at making sure we receive the serenity and peace needed to keep us going.

Very nice post..gave me some things to think about.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Nana Connie said...

Angeline and Dorothy... thank your for your posts ... I like serenity and peace... good words.

MommyWizdom said...

Check out this great book - there's so much about this method online now... No more having to pull the baby out of the car seat for naps.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child

Good luck :-)

MommyWizdom

Total Pageviews