Saturday, July 19, 2014

Good Webs


Kenzie in make-up holding a pink rose from her Dad after the first performance. Brody enthralled by the star.


The spectacular performances of Charlotte's Web were last weekend, the culmination of the first ever summer session for children at the Great American Playhouse. I'm so happy Kenzie had the opportunity to be involved. She played a bat, judge, fairgoer, townsperson, and mother. Because there were so many theater camp attendees the director wrote some parts into the script. I don't remember if there was an original bat in E. B. White's novel.  Kenz would know, but I can't ask her because she's still asleep. We were up late. I was reading  a Kindle book, A Study of Poetry, by Bliss Perry. Kenz was next to me reading a novel called A Whole Lot of Lucky. All of a sudden, I could no longer function..  It must have been around 11 PM. I remember hearing the click of the lamp on the bed side table. I wonder if she finished her book.

Earlier in the evening, while I was unwinding from work, putzing around, Kenz was watching a TV show. I think it was called Criminal Minds. Something to that effect. I could hear the eerie, scary music which I know was background to something terrible or horrible. I was kind of surprised that Kenz was choosing to be scared. Nana, I watch this all the time, she told me. I watch it with my mom and my dad. I get to see into the mind of a criminal. I told her I would rather not. But, I do know there have been times I would stumble on a program, that would make my heart beat, my adrenaline pump.  Hmm! Nowadays, I  would choose not to go there. I know that sort of thing can draw you in, mystery, killing, all that fear, having to find out who dun it and why.

It must seem really strange, but I prefer stories like Charlotte's Web. Nice stories, where there is redemption, friendship, community, and a little sarcasm from a character who is basically selfish (Templeton, the rat). It's been many decades ago since I've read the novel, but I plan to buzz through it again. 

I was glad when Kenz agreed to opt out of the creepy program's marathon and go try a new (to us) yogurt place, Sweet Lizard. We had a bunch of self serve free samples till she settled on vanilla, cake batter, and cookies and cream. I got the tart vanilla and a dab of regular vanilla with a scoop of almonds. We sat outside the shop on a nice patio on soft cushions devouring and discussing the blended flavors. We watched customers come and go. A fan spun overhead. We weren't hot at all. Next door at a bar and grill type of place the sounds of a Friday night young crowd carried into our space. When we got down to our last bites Kenz pulled out a small chocolate parallel candy. These are my most favorite candies ever, she said. She gave it to me and it sparked a memory, at one time, they were my all time favorites, too!

I affirm it again....
All things are working for your good my wonderful grand  girl.


Hurry up and wake up we have good things to do today!



Read about E.B White at the link below.


No comments:

Total Pageviews