Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Choral Reading


Aguadoodle is a wonderful 'toy' that my children didn't have when they were young. You fill the 'pen' up with water and write on rubber. The drawings, scribbles or words disappear in about five minutes, as the water evaporates. It's the cleanest fun in town.
Here's a poem from "Read Together Poems, An Anthology of Verse for Choral Reading." It's from an old textbook for Kindergarten and Primary Grades. (Old is not always better, but Old is good.) Has Choral reading disappeared?
MERRY SUNSHINE
Anonymous
All
"Good-morning, Merry Sunshine,

Solo 1
How did you wake so soon,

Girls
You've scared the little stars away

Boys
And shined away the moon.

Solo 2
I saw you go to sleep last night

All
Before I ceased my playing;

Girls
How did you get 'way over there?

Boys
And where have you been staying?

Solo 3
"I never go to sleep, dear child,
I just go round to see

All
My little children of the east,
Who rise and watch for me.

Solo 4
I waken all the birds and bees
And flowers on my way,

Solo 5
And now come back to see the child

All
Who stayed out late at play."

No comments:

Total Pageviews