Friday, June 8, 2007

Getting Inspired


" The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves." C G. Jung





"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." Pablo Picasso





( Both of the above quotes are from "The Artist's Way," by Julia Cameron.)



You don't have to have grandchildren to---play. Whatever inspires you to create is your 'play time.' When I started to write "Play Wit Me Nana," I didn't realize I was writing it because I had been inspired by the long days of surrendering to 'playing.' It wasn't that I even liked playing children's games, but as my grandchild performed magic, that is-- turning carpets into pools, chairs into buses, dollies into babies and air into people with great sounding names like Aleena Shanks, it was then I started to have a rebirth of the artist I was when I was young. The artist who had visited for quick weekend jaunts, but not for extended vacations. Mackenzie inspired me to write, to create and to make sure I 'play.' I'm not alone. In the youth of my old age, I've had my eyes opened to see lots of grannies creating and 'playing,' taking the trunk out of the attic and dusting off the dusty duds. For me, it means getting up early, putting on my play clothes and taking up the pen or choosing instead to tap out the words. How fun to toss them around the screen, jumping for joy to see them come out from hiding under my fingertips, making them appear and disappear sometimes becoming the toys I want to pass on to others.

Play wit it and you will find your artist child knocking on the door and saying "Yo put your name here will you come out and play?

No comments:

Total Pageviews