Saturday, September 22, 2007

Weekend Jottings

Hi readers and visitors,

Some Books We Love Slide Show will be a permanent feature on my blog, but I'll be moving it to the bottom of the page and updating it regularly.

On the subject of reading, I came across some of these jottings a lady named Lottie M. Koons put together in a little volume in 1914 called Gems of Literature. My copy is a hard bound with slightly yellowed pages. She kept notes and quotes from everything she read at the time and put them in a book. To keep my post short and sweet, I'll just give you a few.

Laughter is the sweetest music that ever greeted the human ear, and the chief purpose of wit and humor is to produce laughter. Hon. Champ Clark

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many: not on your past misfortunes of which all men have some. Charles Dickens

It is 2% genius and 98% honest effort that brings about success in any line of work. Thomas Edison

At the beginning I was only a mass of possibilities. It was my teacher who unfolded and developed them. She has never since let and opportunity pass to point out the beauty that is in every thing, nor has she ceased trying in thought, action and example to make my life sweet and useful. She realized that a child's mind is like a shallow brook, which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education, and reflects here a flower, there a bush, and younder a fleecy cloud. Helen Keller From "The Story Of My Life"

No comments:

Total Pageviews