Tuesday, October 2, 2007





Itsy Bitsy Spider

(Spanish)
Itzi, bitzi araña, tejió su telaraña. Vino la lluvia, y se la llevó. Salió el sol, se secó la lluvia. Y Itzi, bitzi araña, otra vez subió.

Four and half year old Kenzie is trying to teach me how to sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider in Spanish. I love to sit under her instruction because she finds it hilarious that I can't do it easily.
It makes me stop and realize how much she can learn and how easily most children pick up the idiosyncrasies of language without batting an eyelash.
I'll keep trying to sing it, but I love to hear her laugh as I mispronounce the words of another language she takes in like butter on a warm croissant. By the way, there are many ways this song is sung. Here are three of them. Pick your favorite and sing it out, the hand motions are optional.



British Version

The incy wincy spider
Climbed up the water spout;
Down came the rain
And washed poor Eencey out;
Out came the sun
And dried up all the rain;
And the Incy Wincy Spider
Climbed up the spout again.


American Version I

The itsy bitsy spider
went up the water spout,
Down came the rain
and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun
that dried up all the rain,
And the itsy bitsy spider
climbed up the spout again.

American Version II

Eency- weency spider
climbed up the water spout,
down came the rain
and washed the spider out,
out came the sun
and dried up all the rain,
now Eency-weency Spider
went up the spout again.

No comments:

Total Pageviews