Saturday, August 16, 2008

Puffy Stuff








Clouds and Pillows
This past week my eyes have been drawn to the clouds. They have been gorgeous! It could be that the rainy season is beginning to exit, leaving the large and alluring whites floating in a sea of blue, soaking up sunlight, forgetting to pour, skipping their storms.
Maybe it's my new birthday camera from my husband that has made the clouds particularly attractive. I have a sense though, that it's related to my getting (a little) older and a certain song that comes to mind.
Below are some puffy thoughts that floated through my head while perusing the lyrics of one of my favorites about clouds, Both Sides Now.

It definitely could be a grandma song. We have seen both sides of our offspring, first as babies, then as a parents. And in the drama of the days, the conclusion oftentimes is...as the song goes..... I really don't know clouds at all. We have our illusions of perfection, we have our disappointments. We've had enough moons and Junes to realize that everyday is a gift, a fresh chance to learn something and absorb a bit more of life. Getting older and being Nana is teaching me that tears and fears will never disappear, life has painful days and happy days. It has circus rides and lost friendships. Love, like a cloud is something we never get a complete grasp on, sometimes because of our innate selfishness, and our pride. Life, like a cloud can show a dark side, one that might bring rain even on a bright day. Wouldn't life be missing something without those beautiful white clouds that bring moisture to the earth? (end of puffy thoughts)

Both Sides Now

Bows and flows of angel hair and ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere, I've looked at clouds that way
But now they only block the sun they rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done, but clouds got in my way
I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all
Moons and Junes and ferris wheels the dizzy dancing way you feel
As every fairy tale comes real, I've looked at love that way
But now it's just another show, you leave 'em laughin when you go
And if you care don't let them know, don't give yourself away
I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recallI really don't know love at all
Tears and fears and feeling proud, to say, "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds, I've looked at life that way
But now old friends are acting strange they shake their heads, they say I've changed
But something's lost but something's gained in living every day
I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recallI really don't know life at all

(Written by Joni Mitchell)


I LOVE MY NEW PILLOW

My creative quilting sister Mar made me a pillow for my birthday. She knows I love Mary Engelbreit She's made me small pillows before, but this is my favorite. I love everything about it. A pillow is a great gift. I know you'll enjoy looking at the pictures of it, as much as I love having it under my head each evening. I love the softness of my new pillow and I love ... both sides of it. Thanks Fifth Sister.

6 comments:

Boondock Ma (Kim's Mom) said...

Happy Birthday!

What a beautiful post, both the pictures and the words. I always liked that song, but your words seem to make it even more meaningful. Really like the pillow too! A camera! Cool gift! Glad to see you're enjoying it ;-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday girl!

what beautiful gifts made from the heart....

and THAT was awesome, Joni Mitchell is great!

Nana Connie said...

I also love my regular commentors, thanks gals for your thoughts!

Comments are much appreciated!

Tiffany said...

Hi Connie, just wanted to let you know there's a tag and award waiting for you over at my blog, hop on by and pick it up when you have time!
And Happy Belated Birthday!!

Nana Connie said...

Tiffany

I don't like to admit this, but I don't how to get the award over here. Thanks so much for recognition.

Dorothy said...

Aw the memories of the sweet song. Clouds, sunsets, and oceans bring out the smiles and happiness in me.

thanks for sharing...and how precious the gift of the pillow from someone you love.

Dorothy from grammology

Total Pageviews