Friday, January 23, 2009

T is for Tired, Teddy Bear and Terrific


We are nearing the end of the alphabet. Today is Show and Tell... T... at Kenzie's school. If you're a follower of this blog, then you probably know that each week Montessori school does letter of the week.

Ocassionally, and I mean occassionally, Kenz stays overnight. Last night her mom went on a date to the Beach Boys concert and Kenz, once again, insisted on sleeping in the big bed with me. As proven true in the past, I did not sleep well. "Why?" my daughter asked me this morning. "Why don't you just go to sleep?" Here's a few lines I jotted about the sleepover, even before her inquiry.


Grand girl slumbering
kickin the covers off
her six-year old limbs


turning cartwheels in her dreams
her toes on my shoulders, my face on the edge


worried that she was cold
worried myself awake


her angelic face glowing
in the nitelight her bedtime
stories reading to my insomnia


thank God for grandpa
furious I was hearing him snore
sound asleep on the couch like a baby


what a guy, awake at dawn
making her lunch, making her breakfast
brewing coffee to wake me
from the sweetened sleeplessness

No comments:

Total Pageviews