Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Are you smarter than....


             The Kenz?


Maybe at some point in my life I knew about Palindromes, but if I did I forgot about em.  Until a few days ago that is, when Kenz educated me.

She started out by telling me that I am a Palindrome.

I am?

Yes, Nana you are. You are a  Mom.  Dad is one and so is pop.

Hmmm... what do we have in common that makes us all a Palindrome?

Try and guess Nana. First, I will give you more clues. More Palaindromes are eye, did, bib, bub, noon.

Kenz was reading the words off a page of homework, when the lightbulb went off in my head.

Kenz, I think I've got it! By George, I've got it!

She laughed out loud. Nana, George isn't one!

I know, I told her, but I get it now... a Palindrome is a word that can be spelled backwards and it says the same thing. 

She rattled off several others..... tot, toot, kayak, gag, eve, civic.

She then continued the lesson telling me that numbers and phrases can also be palindromes.

Some of the numbers Nana are..... 11, 101, 777 1221, 2002....


And from her homework page I found some Palindromic phrases

"A man, a plan, a canal, Panama."
"Don't nod"
"Dump mud"
" I did, did I?"
"Tuna nut"

How bout one more?  "Nurses run" Very true!
Wow! 

1 comment:

Susan Adcox said...

My granddaughter learned palindrome very early because she's a palindrome--Hannah!

Total Pageviews