Sunday, August 31, 2014

Happy Labor Day!

Happy Labor Day weekend! Since the Miranda concert, I have been laboring to figure out what the draw is. I consider myself 'hip' having been a hippy and living my young years in the sixties, seventies, and eighties. I am accepting and open to all sorts of entertainment so I don't know what it is about  Miranda's style of entertaining that has me left me Led Zepplin dazed and confused.

Last weekend Miranda came to our town.  Kenzie had her tickets months in advance. Her bff and her bff's sister and bffs were all going. My daughter Shelley, Kenzie's mom, had a ticket. She was driving, and at the last minute I was going along. Shelley really wanted my company. I have to say I was very curious having seen Kenzie's anticipation and excitement. 
 
When we arrived at the hip downtown theater a young guy ahead of me was getting a refund. The ticket lady told me I was very lucky... I would be in the third row! I was much closer than the seats Kenz and her friends had bought long ago.



 Miranda has dedicated fans that are old people!
Ya know, older than 30 and some way older!
 


Kenz had her tee transfer carefully ironed on. She is spectacular at imitating the Miranda persona and nasal voice!


Miranda style red lips. I saw hundreds of faces like these.




I tried to enjoy the show. Really I did try. Maybe I needed the lips. I always look for the best in everything.  I have to say Miranda whose real name is Colleen Ballinger has a very good voice. She showcased it for about five minutes of the show, the rest of the time it was loud, screechy and silly. And this is when her fans, (Mirfandas) went nuts. The screaming was so loud, my ears were ringing. 
 
 Yesterday, I finally had a chance to ask my granddaughter Kenzie, who is an intelligent, bright discerning, almost twelve year old, "Why is Miranda so special to so many?"
 
"Well, Nana," she lectured, "Miranda has 350 million hits on her You Tube videos. She has millions of subscribers. She's unique. She created a character that is crazy, that is funny. She is different."  I told Kenzie I could see Miranda being like a friend on Facebook or Instragram. Miranda has been doing her You Tube videos for seven or more years. Her fans check in with her, get familiar with her, relate to her. Kenzie agreed with my theory. Still, I am wondering about the enormity of this gal's success. (I am starting to wonder if I will be mesmerized and become a Miranda fan maybe without even trying!)
 
I told my daughter after the Miranda thing, that the big fad when she was about Kenzie's age were the Creation Station tee shirts. They were tie-dyed, create your very own, pick your colors, get a variety, strive for uniqueness. 

Miranda might just be entertainment individualism embodied! 

If you are curious, visit the site below. If you can shed some light on this Miranda thing come back and leave a comment. I will sincerely appreciate it!
 
 

No comments:

Total Pageviews